I saw the disappointed look on his face after school. Without even having to ask, I knew what had happened.
Even though I had suggested other options for Ross to do in his 2nd Grade Talent Show, he was DETERMINED to tell the story of his tadpoles. So after I realized he wouldn’t be happy doing something like singing or doing magic tricks in front of his class, we practiced all the frog facts that he’d teach the class and then came up with a plan for me to take one of his frogs to his school.
But, as I feared, not everyone in his class recognized and appreciated Ross’ super-cool abilities as a real ‘TALENT‘…
“That was stupid!”
“I’m NOT voting for you!”
Although these were all hurtful comments that some of Ross’ classmates said, I assured him that, his ABILITIES were NOT stupid, but WERE, in fact, a true, God-given TALENT!
I reminded to Ross that, even though he’s only 8 years old, he’s ALREADY demonstrated some pretty ‘talented’ things…
- Before he turned 2 years old, while all the other kids at the park were happy in a baby swing, you could find baby-Ross CHASING LIZARDS up the concrete walls in Arizona.
- By 3 years old, he’d already captured more turtles, frogs, birds, lizards and snakes than most adults would do in their entire lifetime.
- At 4 years old, he would spot lost dogs on the side of the road and demand that we turn-around and help get them back to their home.
- My personal favorite… When he was only 6 years old, after LOTS and LOTS and LOTS of work and determination (and me saying, “Stop trying. That is IMPOSSIBLE.”), he actually CAUGHT a CHIP-MONK in the rain on the first day of summer!
- At 7 years old, while everyone else was finishing breakfast at the lake, Ross CAUGHT a TURTLE and a few FISH by swimming underwater with a NET!
So, it was NO surprise this year when Ross started catching TAD-POLES by the hundreds! Often times, we would leave local parks with up to 200 tad-poles in little containers he’d brought from home!
His Nana and Grandaddy found a large tank and kept them at their house to feed and help him take care of. Before we knew it, there were 211 little frogs ready to be released!
I’m so passionate about taking the time to NURTURE your God-given talents and abilities!
Or, if you’re a parent, helping your children discover what brings joy to them and others!
So, even though the rest of the world may not always see ‘talent‘ in the dirty hands of a little boy, Ross will ALWAYS be one of the most special, creative, unique and, YES, TALENTED kids that I know!
Christy, I think you are the most amazing Mom, and God has given you so many incredible “talents.” You are the encourager! God has given you such a wonderful gift. How blessed Ross is to have you and you to have Ross. Isn’t God so wonderful that He knows exactly which child belongs with which parents. I prayed for the perfect wife for Matthew, and God granted me above and beyond with the perfect Mother for my grandchildren. I bow down on my knees and cry “Holy.”